home           about           shop          policies          blog          contact

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Year ONE

Holy Guacamole Batman! One year ago yesterday, I boxed up all my personal items and bid farewell to a steady paycheck, health benefits, and really comfortable - tried and true - Monday through Friday, 9-5, corporate job.

I took a crazy leap into self-employment, designing handbags to be exact. (Me, the girl who doesn't even like carrying a purse. Oh the irony of it all.)

Who's wacky idea was this anyway?

BUT WOW!!! What an amazing journey! I have been successful beyond my wildest dreams. Everything has worked out perfectly. I can't believe following a crazy dream could turn out this well, and all in just a years time!

HAHahaha...haha...ha...uhem...

That's cute. But how about we go for honesty. (Not that I like honesty all that much, it is a bit over-rated if you ask me.)

It actually has been an amazing year. One in which I quickly discovered how little I knew about making a hand-crafted business work! But never fear, Google is here! I have spent so much time researching and asking Google questions, that Google actually now finishes my sentences for me. (So cool how it knows what questions I'm going to ask...)

And when Google didn't have the answer, I turned to my friend Amy, owner of Evy's Tree. And let me  just say, I have no-clue how she does what she does! She's a wife, a mom to two little lovely bundles of endless energy, and she runs Evy's Tree. Whaaa??? How??? I'm single and the mother to a furry four-legger, and haven't figured out yet how to get it all done! Hat's off to ya Amy!

Finding my market has been a challenge. It isn't enough to make cool handbags. You have to know who is going to buy your cool handbags. You have to answer questions like - Who is your target audience? What type of marketing does your target audience respond to? You also have to know where not to spin your wheels. Now that one, that is the real deal Holyfield. You can waste a lot of time trying to get your product out to an audience that isn't interested. Not that anyone wouldn't be interested in my cool bags mind you. I'm just making that statement in general. 

Here's the thing, I can tell you all the in and out's of building your hand-crafted business. But the most important part of it all, is enjoying your journey. And that, I most certainly do. I'm enthralled with the learning process. Oddly enough, I kind of like my mistakes. They make me sit back and examine my process. They allow for refinement of the product I'm selling. Learning from my mistakes actually gives me confidence in the quality and craftsmanship of what I sell.

I've experienced major hiccups along the road this year. Ideas that didn't work. Marketing that cost me more money than I recouped. Moments (more like months) of wondering how in the world I was going to get people interested in what I was selling. But, I've enjoyed the journey. Yep, there have been nights when I've literally fallen into bed fully clothed and woken up with my glasses still on my face. Many mornings when that cup of joe at Panera was my only fuel for the day. But I've enjoyed the journey.

So here's to Year TWO. Brace yourself, I'm coming for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment