home           about           shop          policies          blog          contact

Friday, April 19, 2013

The "F" Word and Why The More You Do It, The Better You Get

We avoid the "F" word.

We act like it is the plague.

Like we are going to catch something if we do it.

FAILURE. THE ULTIMATE "F" WORD.

Last fall I had an idea for a new style of bag. I scratched it out on a piece of paper, made my measurements, laid out my fabric, cut it and sewed it together. Result? It was a total failure from what I had planned out on paper. 


FAILURE.

I scrunched up my nose, (what I often do when I'm thinking) and looked at the bag. Nope, totally not my planned design. I didn't want to waste the fabric though, so I decided to put straps on it and just use it as my own personal bag.

So I sewed the straps on and held up the bag. And I'll be danged if this isn't what I saw.





My failed design was more beautiful than the bag I had planned out on paper. 


I think my heart might have skipped a beat. 

From my failure was born my entire 2012 Fall/Winter Collection. Truly beautiful bags that I am so proud to have created.

I'm not sure who decided "F-ing" was a bad word. Because let me say, I've had some of my best ideas happen after I "F-ed". When I "F-ed" and saw how something wouldn't work, I then figured out ways to achieve an even better end result.

Go and do. If you get lucky, maybe you'll even FAIL and get something better than you ever imagined.

2 comments:

  1. That purse is GORGEOUS!!!!!! I'm.in.love!

    Faliure is sooo overrated ;) I always give up easily but when I work back into it, I definitely surprise myself.

    Great post! A reminder we all need!

    ReplyDelete